Titleist, the #1 ball in golf, is to continue its support of the Golf Foundation in 2011. This partnership with Titleist will help the leading golf charity to make the sport more accessible for young people through its national 'Golf Roots' initiative.
Golf Roots aims to bring golf to one million youngsters a year by 2013, with Ambassadors including Titleist Pro V1x loyalist Lee Westwood and Olympic gold medalist Denise Lewis.
Titleist will provide golf balls that will be used in the Golf Foundation's events and for its promotional activities.
Mike Round, Chief Executive of the Golf Foundation, said: "Our team has some ambitious targets to grow the game in support of the national golf partnerships. Golf should be for everyone and we need to work with the best partners in golf for us to achieve our goals; companies who understand that it is vital to protect the future of the industry by backing the sport at junior grass roots level today.
"In terms of quality golf brands, you cannot find a better example than Titleist, and we are thrilled with the association. The Titleist team has been hugely supportive to us in recent years and we look forward to continuing this partnership."
Titleist golf balls will be used across Golf Roots initiatives in schools and communities and at promotional events as the Foundation supports the national golf partnerships of England, Scotland and Wales.
"The Golf Foundation continues to deliver widespread access to the game of golf to thousands of children in the UK each year and plays a critical role in supporting the ongoing success and popularity of the game," commented Neil Jessiman, Titleist's European Marketing Manager.
"We are dedicated to supporting the game across a variety of different levels, from tour professional, elite amateurs and PGA professionals, and our association with the Golf Foundation is the perfect platform for us to support golf at the grass roots level."
Golf Roots initiatives provide a pathway for the new player from the school to the golf club, and in doing so the Golf Foundation works with ever-increasing numbers of children and supporting adults.
A recent government survey indicated that the number of schools offering golf had increased from 14% in 2003/4 to 44% in 2009/10. The number of schools with formal links to golf clubs and driving ranges increased from 9% in 2003/4 to 30% in 2009/10. Some 39% of primary schools and 66% of secondary schools offered golf in the academic year of 2009/10.
* To find more details about Titleist products see http://www.titleist.co.uk/
* To learn more about the Golf Foundation call 01992 449830 or see http://www.golf-foundation.org/
* For media information on the Golf Foundation call Ben Evans on 01747 820384 or 07789 722853
Notes for editors
* The Golf Foundation is a British Isles charity dedicated to bringing more young people into the sport.
* The Golf Foundation is committed to developing the sport at the junior level by supporting the implementation of national development plans and by working in partnership with the golfing bodies in England through the England Golf Partnership, in Wales through Golf Development Wales, and in Scotland through clubgolf.
* Each year around 700,000 children across the British Isles benefit from the initiatives and resources available through the Golf Foundation.